Dr. Robbie George
Head of the Department of Vascular & Endovascular Sciences, Narayana Institute of Vascular Sciences, Bangalore.
Dr. Robbie George is the Head of the Department of Vascular & Endovascular Sciences, Narayana Institute of Vascular Sciences, Bangalore.
Dr. Robbie did his medical and surgical training at Delhi University during which time he was awarded the Delhi University Gold Medal for Post Graduate training.
The same year he was also awarded the All India Gold Medal for DNB Surgery.
Dr. Robbie undertook further specialized training in Vascular & Endovascular Surgery in the United Kingdom. He worked in the UK NHS for a period of 7 years. During this time he was awarded a CCST and is registered as a Specialist Vascular Surgeon for the United Kingdom and the European Union. During his time in the UK, he worked as a Consultant Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon at Leeds General Infirmary and Northampton General Hospitals.
He returned to India in 2011 and joined Narayana Hrudayalaya.
He has been the Head of the Department since 2014.
Dr. Robbie George is well known among the vascular surgery community both in India and overseas.
He has been a trainer and invited faculty for numerous National and International Conferences, some of which are listed below. This includes conferences in New York, Chicago, London, Singapore, Osaka, Budapest, Macau, Leipzig and Rome among others.
Dr. George is also a founding member of the Asian Chapter of the International Society of Vascular & Endovascular Surgeons and the national Councillor for the European Society of Vascular Surgery.
He is actively involved in clinical research and has a large number of papers published in reputed peer-reviewed international journals. He is also the author of many book chapters. Dr. Robbie George is the Associate Editor for the Indian Journal of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery and on the Editorial Board of Vascular Specialist International.
His clinical work includes the management of Aortic Aneurysms by open, stent graft or hybrid methods. He has one of the largest experiences in India of treating complex aneurysms with Hybrid Techniques.
Dr. George will commonly join other surgical specialists especially of Urology or Gynecology in the removal of complicated and large cancers especially when they involve major blood vessels. Many patients who have been turned away from other hospitals have benefitted from this expertise.
Dr. George has been a pioneer in techniques for the recovery and salvage of fistulas that had blocked or weren’t working properly and has trained many physicians in the same.
Venous disease due to Varicose Veins and DVT or its consequences is especially common and untreated. The team at Narayana Health, led by Dr. George, has special expertise in treating complicated and of course simple cases. All advanced methods of treatment of varicose veins such as Laser, radiofrequency ablation, Glue, Sclerotherapy etc. are available and used. Dr. George and their team have been the pioneers in India in the management of Deep Venous Disease and have conducted numerous training seminars and delivered talks on the same both nationally and internationally.
Diabetic feet and Peripheral Arterial Disease are extremely common in India and the prevention of amputation is a major goal of the department. This is achieved by techniques like angioplasty, bypass and debridements and reconstructive surgery as required. This is supported by hyperbaric oxygen, negative pressure wound therapy and other advanced techniques as needed.
He is involved in the supervision of training and is a thesis guide for many Vascular & Endovascular Surgical trainees.
- Vascular Disease in Asia & India- in need of a paradigm shift. Indian Journal of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery.2017 4(4):143
- Non-traumatic acute limb ischemia-presentation, evaluation and management. Indian Journal of Vascular& Endovascular Surgery 2017. 4(4) 192-7
- An Endovascular Filter to prevent embolization during aortic stenting. Journal of Vascular Surgery 63(2): 548-51.
- Experience of on table modified standard catheters for directed arterial and venous thrombolysis. Journal of Thrombosis & Thrombolysis (2016) 42: 56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-015-1324-1
- Contemporary management of symptomatic primary aortic mural thrombus. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2014 Sep 22. S0741-5214(14)01623-1. doi:10.1016/j.jvs.2014.08.057
- Effect of deep vein stenting on the healing of lower limb venous ulcers. European Journal of Vascular Surgery DOI: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2014.04.031
- Reduction Internal Valvuloplasty (RIVAL) is a New Technical Improvement on Plication Internal Valvuloplasty for Primary Deep Vein Valvular Incompetence. Journal of Vascular Surgery
- Endovascular management of iatrogenic carotid-jugular fistula presenting as congestive heart failure. Journal of vascular access. 10/2013; DOI: 10.5301/jva.5000198
- Endovascular management of venous ulcer in a patient with occluded duplicated IVC & review of IVC development. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2014 Feb;48(2):162-5. DOI: 10.1177/1538574413510627. Epub 2013 Nov 12.
- Endovascular Exclusion of Complex Post-Surgical Aortic Arch Pseudoaneurysm using Vascular Plug Devices and a review of Vascular Plugs. Perspectives in Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy (July 2013, DOI: 10.1177/1531003513501203)
- Management of Symptomatic Thrombus in Non-Atherosclerotic/Non-Aneurysmal Aorta. Journal of Vascular Surgery Volume 57, Issue 5, Supplement, May 2013, Pages 43S
- Vacuum-Assisted Closure (V.A.C) Therapy for Vascular Graft Infection (Szilagyi Grade III) in the Groin – A Ten Year Multi-Centre Experience. Int Wound J 2013. Jun 25 (Epub).
- Surgical and endovascular treatment of occlusive aortic syndromes. J Cardiovasc Surg. (Torino). 2013 Feb;54 (1 Suppl 1):55-69.
- Acute thrombosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm presenting with lower limb ischaemia. ANZ J Surg. 2011 Dec;81(12):945-6
- Do Doppler waveforms at the common femoral artery accurately predict iliac stenosis? Ir J Med Sci. 2010 Jul 27.
- Carotid Body Tumours – A 22-Year Northern Irish Experience. International Journal of Surgery 2010; 8 (7): 520.
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for Conn’s syndrome: report of the initial six cases.Int Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;94(1):31-4.
- Predictors of non-sentinel lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients. American Journal Surgery. 2005 Jan; 189(1):127-8.
- Abdominal tuberculosis presenting as an inguinal hernia. Tropical Gastroenterology. 2005 Apr-Jun;26(2):98.
- Giant adrenal cyst presenting as a diagnostic dilemma: a case report. International Surg. 2005 Apr-Jun;90(2):78-80.
- A simple technique for pre-operative reduction of lymphoedema. Indian Journal of Surgery 2004;66(2):114-5.
- An audit of foot infections in patients with diabetes mellitus following renal transplantation. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds. 2004 Sep;3(3):157-60
- Ileal duplication presenting with peptic ulcer perforation and Malena. Indian Journal of Surgery 2004;66(2):106-8
- Pancreatitis in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism. Indian Journal of Gastroenterology.2003;22:224-5
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic sympathectomy: initial experience. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2003. 19;53
- Private Health care in India Lancet 2002;359:1528
- Histopathological assessment of the liver in cholelithiasis with cholecystitisInternational Surg 2002;87:99-103
- Vascular Trauma in Postgraduate Vascular Surgery- A candidates guide for the FRCS exam. George RK, Blair P. Ed Bhattacharya V, Stansby G. Cambridge University Press 2010.
- Bypass techniques in The Diabetic Foot- Evidence-Based Management. Ed Hinchliffe R, Schaper N, Thomson M, Timaran C, Tripathi R. JP Medical London, UK 2013
- Healing leg ulcers by interventions on obstructed deep veins in Advances in Venous Surgery and Phlebology. Ed. Whiteley M. Cambridge University Press 2016
- Complex AV access: Yearbook of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery 2018.Jaypee Brothers, Delhi 2018
Presentations and Lectures (International)
- Penetrating Aortic Ulcer with Dissection: LINC 2019, Leipzig, Germany, Jan 2019
- Complex venous interventions: Endovascular Asia, Osaka, Japan. Dec 2018
- Management of SFA disease in India- Endovascular Asia, Osaka, Japan Dec 2018
- Assessing deep venous disease with non-invasive imaging- Veins International Meeting, London, UK March 2018
- Hybrid procedures for venous disease- Veins International Meeting, London, UK
- Endovascular therapies for PAD in India- a vascular surgeons perspective. Endovascular Asia, Osaka, Japan Dec 2017
- Primary stenting for acute dissection should be the standard of care- Debate. ASVS Kuala Lumpur, Nov 2017
- Aortic anatomy in Asia- a different challenge. ASVS Kuala Lumpur, Nov 2107
- Primary aortic mural thrombus ASVS Kuala Lumpur, Nov 2017
- Endovascular therapy in India. Endovascular Asia, Osaka Japan Dec 2016
- CVI in the obese – reflux or functional obstruction. ASVS, Singapore Oct 2016
- Endovenectomy with iliac vein stenting- rationale and technique. ASVS, Singapore Oct 2016
- The normal aorta- results of a south Indian epidemiological study.Charing Cross London March 2016
- The primary aortic mural thrombus. 16th Asian Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting, Bangkok. Dec 2015
- A low-cost solution for thrombolysis. 16th Asian Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting, Bangkok. Dec 2015
- Management of symptomatic aortic mural thrombus. Aortic Asia, Oct 2015, Singapore
- Iatrogenic lower limb ischemia in young children. Vascular Annual Meeting, Chicago, June 2015
- Results and implications of an epidemiological study of normal aortic anatomy in a South Indian population. Asian Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Conference, Hong Kong Sep 2014
- Management of deep venous occlusive disease. Asian Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Conference, Hong Kong Sep 2014
- Diagnosis and treatment of deep venous obstructive lesions. Asia Pacific Vascular Symposium. Singapore May 2014
- Hybrid procedures for aortic arch aneurysms; Aortic Asia 2014, Macau. April 2014
- Management of thrombus in the non-atherosclerotic non-aneurysmal aorta. Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting, San Francisco, USA. June 2013
- Endovascular recanalization of iliac veins: going beyond standard therapies of compression and varicose vein surgery. Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Manchester. Nov 2012
- Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Palsy is a predictor of poor outcomes for aortic arch aneurysms. Veith Symposium, New York, USA. Sep. 2013
- Endovascular management of aortoiliac chronic total occlusions- initial experience with the V12 device. MEET, Rome Nov.2011
- The training of future vascular surgeons in the UK in endovascular techniques is inadequate to train vascular specialists of the future. Results of a survey of UK vascular trainees. Vascular Society Annual Meeting, Brighton. Nov 2010
- Senior vascular trainee experience of assessment and management of patients undergoing Endovascular repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (EVAR). Results of a survey of UK vascular trainees.Vascular Society Annual Meeting, Brighton. Nov 2010
- Inferior Vena Caval Filters a review of the evidence and practice. Northern Ireland Vascular Society Meet.Belfast. August 2010.
- Balloon Expandable Palmaz Stent to treat Primary Type 1 endoleaks in Endovascular Repair of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. British Society of Endovascular Therapy Annual Meet. Stratford upon Avon. July 2010
- Do Doppler Waveforms at the Common Femoral Artery Accurately Predict Iliac Stenosis? Association of Surgeons in Training Annual Conference, Hull. March 2010
- Carotid Body Tumours – A 22-year Northern Irish Experience Association of Surgeons in Training Annual Conference, Hull. March 2010
- Vascular Surgeons Knowledge of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) Guidance for Patients: A Survey. ASGBI 2010 International Surgical Congress, ‘The Challenges of Surgery’ at Liverpool, UK.
- The role of preoperative localisation in renal failure hyperparathyroidism surgery. British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons Annual Meet, Marseilles. 2008.
Presentations & Lectures (India)
- Aortic endofilter for an embolism primary aortic mural thrombus. Vascular Society of India Annual Conference, Pune. Oct 2015
- The primary aortic mural thrombus.Vascular Society of India Annual Conference, Pune. Oct 2015
- Hybrid management of the deep venous occlusive disease.Vascular Society of India Annual Conference, Pune. Oct 2015
- Post Thrombotic Syndrome: Deep vein reflux or obstruction? VAICON, Vellore, Feb 2015
- Results and implications of an epidemiological study of normal aortic anatomy in a South Indian population. Vascular Society of India Annual Conference, Bhubhaneshwar. Oct 2014
- Techniques and outcomes of deep vein endovascular reconstruction for venous leg ulcers.Vascular Society of India Annual Conference, Bhubhaneshwar. Oct 2014
- Critical appraisal- how to read a paper. Midterm meeting of the Vascular Society of India, Goa. June 2014
- Acute Aortic Syndromes. Midterm meeting of the Vascular Society of India, Vizag. June 2013
- Endovascular management of the aortoiliac occlusive disease. 19th Annual meeting of Vascular Society of India, Jaipur. Sep 2012
- Decision making in aortic aneurysms- open or EVAR. Midterm CME of the Vascular Society of India. Mahabalipuram, India. July 2012.
- Debate on Open repair vs EVAR for ruptured AAA. INDOVASC 2012.India March 2012.
- Management of Type III endoleaks. INDOVASC 2012.India, March 2012.
- Critical appraisal of foot infections in diabetic renal transplant patients.Annual conference of the Diabetic Foot Society of India. 2002
- Pathogen resistance associated with lower-limb amputations in diabetic foot ulcer patients.Annual conference of the Diabetic Foot Society of India. 2002
- HIV seropositivity rates among surgical patients-its implications.Annual conference of the American College of Surgeons, India 2000-2001.
- Abdominal carcinomatosis due to Carcinoma Gall Bladder presenting as intestinal obstruction.Annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India 2000