What are varicose veins?
What causes varicose veins?
- A dull ache, burning, or heaviness in the legs. These symptoms may be more noticeable late in the day or after you have been sitting or standing for a long time.
- Mild swelling, usually involving the feet and ankles only.
- Itching skin over the varicose vein.
- Skin blackening or darkening (stasis pigmentation) around the ankles and lower legs.
- Dry, stretched, swollen, itching, or scaling skin.
- Superficial thrombophlebitis (blood clot and inflammation)
- Open wounds (ulcers)- they may be especially severe and may not heal for years such as in the attached image
- Bleeding and/or bruising after a minor injury.
- Fungal and bacterial infections.